Welcome to the W. H. Plemmons Medallion WebSite!
The W. H. Plemmons Leadership Medallion, named in honor of Dr. William H. Plemmons who served as the second president of the University from 1955 to 1969, was established by an action of the Appalachian State University Board of Trustees in 1996. The award was created to recognize the time, energy, skills, and commitment of students, faculty, student affairs educators and staff who exceed their peers in providing leadership that enriches the quality of student life and advances the education of students.
Students and university employees are invited to nominate a student or university employee for this award. Nominations may be made in the following categories:
- A student leader who has provided distinguished leadership above that of other student leaders.
- A Student Affairs Educator within the Division of Student Affairs for meritorious leadership in his or her work to enrich the quality of student life and learning.
- A member of the faculty who has provided meritorious leadership through his or her work with student clubs or organizations, or work that enriches the quality of student life and learning outside the classroom.
- An employee of Appalachian State University who has provided meritorious leadership that has significantly enriched the quality of student life and learning outside of the classroom.
The process for selecting recipients will be as follows:
- A seven person committee appointed by the Chancellor will solicit and review nominations and recommend recipients of the W. H. Plemmons Leadership Medallion to the Chancellor who will submit the recommendations to the Board of Trustees for their review and approval.
- The committee will screen the nominations and seek relevant supporting information concerning nominees chosen for further consideration.
- This process will take place annually and leadership medallions will be awarded during the Spring Semester Leadership and Legacy Awards Banquet. It is understood that the medallion is intended to recognize meritorious leadership and may not be awarded each year.
Nominations for this award will be accepted through Friday, February 9, 2018 by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Nominations should be submitted electronically by using this link.
To view a listing of past recipients, click here. Also, our Archives page has information for each year’s recipients beginning in 1997. For additional information, please contact Leroy Wright, Chair of the W. H. Plemmons Medallion Committee, at 262-2060 or visit our website at www.plemmonsmedallion.appstate.edu.